Thursday, January 12, 2012

Whole Wheat Penne Rigate Bake with Tomato Sauce, Garlic, and Fresh Parsley

As a warning, I decided to create this blog halfway through making this dish, so I only have a picture for the finished product. Also, this is my first time blogging, or writing down recipes, so bear with me!

I got this idea from another blog called "Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour." She calls hers "Two Timin' Pasta"(http://pearls-handcuffs-happyhour.blogspot.com/2011/04/two-timin-pasta.html) and uses alfredo sauce, but I didn't have any of that in my cupboard... and it's snowing today... I really don't feel like grocery shopping... So, I searched what I had and put my own flare on it.

You will need:




14.5 oz. can stewed tomatoes, pureed
15 oz. can tomato sauce
Half 4.25 oz. can chopped olives
1 clove of garlic, peeled, minced
Fresh parsley, minced
Spoonful of sour cream
Mozzarella cheese
1/2 box whole wheat penne rigate pasta-- cooked, drained.
Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

Cook your penne according to the instructions on the box. (Mine called for boiling 9-10 minutes, then draining.)

Open your can of stewed tomatoes and either dump it in a blender or food processor. 

Pulse it a few times. (I like mine chunkier, but my husband, B, doesn't like chunks so if he is going to eat it, I pulse it for a while longer... It's up to you!) 

Pour that into a 9x13 baking dish. 

Add the can of tomato sauce, half can olives, chopped/minced parsley, garlic, penne, and mozzarella cheese. (I used cheddar cheese this time since we were out of mozzarella) I think sauteed onions would be great in this as well, but again, none in my cupboard. Also, when chopping the parsley, watch your fingers. I didn't. I now have a nice cut on my index finger in which I can feel my heartbeat. :)

With a rubber spatula, mix pasta and sauce together in 9x13 dish until pasta is well coated.



Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, remove from oven, add Parmesan...



...and cook for another 5-ish minutes. Let cool slightly, and serve!

As with any good italian dish, serve it with garlic bread! YUM! My favorite way to make garlic bread is to just butter one side of as many slices of your favorite bread as you like, arrange them on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with garlic salt and italian seasoning. Stick them under a broiler for only a few minutes (they cook really quickly under a broiler so keep an eye on them!!) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment