Saturday, May 26, 2012

Broccoli & Cauliflower Pesto Pizza



I saw it all over Pintrest. Cauliflower pizza crust. Seriously? Could this really be any good? So I had to try it.

But of course, I don't really ever follow recipes. Ever.

I bought some cauliflower. And it sat in my fridge for a while. Cauliflower crust? Really? But then I finally decided to give it a go.

This is the blog I adapted my recipe from: Eat. Drink. Smile.

So, as I was chopping up the cauliflower and thought, "Hey! I have broccoli too! Cauliflower... Broccoli... same family... Why not?"

So I chopped up some of that as well and threw it in there.

I saw the spices list for this recipe, and I like a lot more flavor than just garlic, salt, and oregano... so I searched my fridge, and found some pesto. Yahtzee! So I threw in a spoonful of that as well. Mmmm, I love the smell of pesto!



We are proud new owners (one week today!) of three beautiful and hilarious chickens. They have been very good egg layers and we are accumulating quite the collection in our fridge. So, our crust has delicious and nutritious farm fresh eggs in it!



So my recipe is as follows:

1/2 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1/2 cup cooked, riced broccoli
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used colby jack)
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp pesto
1 clove crushed fresh garlic
olive oil (optional)
salt
pepper

pizza toppings of your choice

1. Cut off some florets of cauliflower and broccoli and run them through a food processor (If you don't have a food processor, I've been told a cheese grater will work, but I definitely don't have the patience for that! haha!)



2. Place the processed cauliflower and broccoli in a microwave safe bowl and microwave, uncovered, for 8-ish minutes. Don't add water because it will make the mixture too soggy and wet.



3. Once cooked, add the cheese, pesto, garlic, salt, pepper, beaten egg, and optional drizzle of oil and combine until pasty.



4. Generously oil you pizza pan (I found this out the hard way! Mine was soooo stuck to the foil I lined my pan with... pictures later on...) and spread the yummy mixture evenly onto the pan with a spatula or your hands.


5. Cook at 450F for about 15 minutes. Keep and eye on it, I burnt mine a little.



6. Remove from oven, add desired toppings 






7. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, mostly until cheese is melted.


As I mentioned before, this first attempt got horribly stuck to the foil. I promise I sprayed it with my oil spritzer! Next time I make this recipe, I'm going to either oil it MUCH better, or maybe sprinkle some cornmeal on the pan to keep it from sticking. If you try this, please let me know how it works!


We mostly got toppings on our plate, but still got the crust. It was so yummy! I really like cheese and broccoli/cauliflower anyways, so I knew I would like it. Not to mention, my husband added ranch dressing and chicken. Two other favorites. Awesome.


But it looked a little reminiscent of something a lunch lady would plop on your cafeteria tray.

...all right, maybe not THAT bad, but it definitely didn't look like pizza!

But still delicious. My hubby even went back for a second helping. Win!

Let me know what you all think of the recipe!








1 comment: