Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pan Shmear

This is an AWESOME "recipe" to have on hand. SO much better than Pam or any cooking spray, plus flour. And it's so easy to make!

1/3 flour
1/3 shortening
1/3 oil (I would use either a vegetable or canola, but really any kind you want would work)

I didn't put measurements because it just depends on how much you want to make. Just so long as the mixture has equal parts of flour, shortening, and oil.

I put this in my stand mixer, but I'm sure you can use a hand held electric one just as easily. You're going to want to start out on a lower speed. I found this out the hard way when the flour EXPLODED all over the place, followed by the oil. Not so fun to clean up... But I'm sure it was fairly amusing to witness :) Anyways, you put equal parts of each ingredient in a mixer and mix until smooth. Then you just transfer it to an airtight container and pull it out whenever you are baking cakes, bread, or whatever calls for a non-stick/flour mixture. You can apply it to the pan with a pastry brush, but if you don't have one, feel free to get messy and use your hands. This is also fine to store at room temperature for maybe a month or two. I'm not sure how long it keeps, but I'm sure at least a month is fine. We use it all the time in my baking classes and I swear by it. It's truly amazing.

Sorry I don't have a picture for this one yet. I will post one as soon as I make more of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment